October 2, 2008

Eight Weeks Old

PK turned 8 weeks old yesterday. I can't believe how time has flown by, and how much she has grown. As I look back on the past 8 weeks, my biggest regret is that I didn't get to just take everything in during those first few weeks of her life. I was so groggy, sleep-deprived, and stressed about her weight-gain that I feel as if I didn't get to truly enjoy having her around the way that I do now. Does this make any sense?

She has certainly changed from that squirrely little munchkin that we'd first brought home from the hospital. She's longer, heavier, and has filled in quite a bit - especially around her tummy and most noticeably, in her cheeks. She doesn't have chipmunk cheeks or anything, but they've definitely filled in more over the past several weeks.

PK is also a lot more alert. Gone are the days where she'd nap for 2 or 3 hours at a time after a feed. Now, she'll easily fall asleep in my arms after a feed, but as soon as I put her down in her crib, bassinet, or playpen, she'll wake right up. If I'm really lucky, I'll get a 20-minute nap out of her. I don't mind so much - I actually really love it when she falls asleep in my arms. The only time I really do mind her waking up after I put her down is when I'm trying to do something like sending an e-mail, preparing lunch for myself, or cleaning the house.

I try to take advantage of the extra alert time by playing with her on her Baby Einstein Discovering Water Play Gym. Right now, however, the only thing she seems to react to is the music. Whenever I turn it on, she starts flailing her arms and legs. Unfortunately for me, I end up with the friggin' music stuck in my head all day and then some. I've tried dangling some of the little toys in front of her, trying to see if she could grasp them, but have had no luck thus far. The play gym also comes with a little pillow which a prop under her armpits for some tummy time play. Sometimes I can catch her in a good mood where she actually stays on her tummy for a few seconds without fussing. Other times, the mere sight of the play gym causes her to go into a wailing frenzy.

One cool thing that I've noticed over the past few days is her smile. Unlike the fake smiles of the early days - which some say can be attributed to gas - these smiles actually appear to be genuine. For example, the other day when she saw the hubby after he arrived from work, she gave him a big smile. Sometimes she'll even look up at me and give me a great big smile. It just makes your heart melt!

Her nighttime routine has also stabilized over the past few weeks. On most days, she has a 3am-ish feed and a 6am-ish feed. We usually begin her nighttime routine somewhere between 7 and 8:30pm, starting with a bath, a feeding, and story time. The hubby usually feeds her, and I read her a story. After the story, the hubby sits with her up in her room in the dark and waits for her to fall asleep before putting her into her crib. This gives me a chance to clean up downstairs and/or do my daily workout. It's the best of both worlds - the hubby gets to spend some quality time with PK, and I get some time to myself. Oh, and while we're on the subject of the nighttime routine, I am happy to report that PK does not wail during bathtime anymore. Two things did the trick: we stopped giving her sponge baths, and we got her a little chair to sit on in her bathtub so that she doesn't slide into the water while we bathe her. Now she only wails when we wash her hair, which we do at the beginning of bathtime. Strangely enough, washing her hair was the only calming thing about bathtime when we were giving her a sponge bath. Now it's the total opposite. She'll sit in the bathtub as calm as can be while the hubby constantly pours water over her and I wash her body. And then, when we take her out of her bath, she starts to wail again (even though she's wrapped in a towel).

Next Monday, PK goes for her first round of shots. I don't expect it to be the most pleasant experience for her, but I sure am relieved that she's finally getting her shots. Let's just hope she doesn't wail too much when she gets them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear PK is liking her bath better these days!

For the immunizations, my SIL suggested to me that the best thing to do was to have them do the shots while Jade was breastfeeding. And by gum, it was great! Each prick would induce a wail, and then she'd latch right back on and calm down.

Unfortunately, in Yukon, the first set of immunizations is FOUR needles, so by the last one, she was getting pretty darned upset. Maybe for Nugget I'll break it up into two visits instead...

Another thing you can do is give PK some baby Tylenol about an hour before the needles. It's a little preemptive strike for the pain and it's good to have around because some babies get a bit of a fever the next day.