March 23, 2009

Nap Nap

***WRITER'S NOTE: If you think that this post looks vaguely familiar, then you're probably right. I started writing this last Thursday on my BlackBerry and instead of hitting Save, I got a bit trigger-happy and hit Send instead, thereby ending with a half-finished post. Here's the completed version!

I'm totally knocking on wood as I write this - it appears that PK has finally fallen into some sort of a nap schedule! While a morning nap is pretty hit-and-miss these days, PK IS going down for a good 2 to 2.5-hour nap right after lunch. Not only that, all I have to do is change her diaper, put her into her Grobag, turn on her Baby Einstein aquarium, and leave the room. She actually falls asleep by herself!

I don't know how long this is going to last, but I'll take it for as long as it lasts! I usually take this rare opportunity of having free time to retreat to my basement hideaway and get in a good workout. It's total win-win: PK wakes up refreshed and I feel like a million bucks after a good workout.

On another note, it appears that stroller napping is no longer a sure-fire thing. Last Wednesday I headed out at noon for the mommy group meeting, planning to go to the host mommy's house on foot so that PK could still get her lunchtime nap in and thereby avoiding an over-tired meltdown at the mommy group. PK fell asleep about 5 minutes after we'd left. Twenty minutes later, I had to stop to peel of some layers, since it was way to warm and I was way too over-dressed. That coupled with noisy downtown Toronto traffic was the deal-breaker. PK was awake. Wide awake. I had to prop her back up to a seated position, because she was positively taken with her surroundings. She just kept looking around, taking it all in. It was really cute, but I knew that I would pay for it later. And I did.

When we arrived at my friend's house, PK was in a pretty good mood. She even played with the other babies. That is, as much as babies play with one another at this age. It was more like PK sat with other babies as they took each others' toys. It was funny to watch. Unfortunately, about an hour later, she got really fussy. And then when I looked away for one second, she fell back from a seated position and hit her head on the laminate wood floor. It wasn't a huge thud, but she was pretty upset. I'm sure that she was more upset than she'd normally be because she was also pretty tired. We ended up having to leave early because she was not a happy camper.

I decided to walk back home in the hopes that she'd be so tired that she'd fall into a deep sleep. I got about three-quarters of the way home before she woke up again (she'd been sleeping for 40 minutes by then). Again, she was just too enthralled with her surroundings to fall asleep. I suppose that it could have been worse. She was in a pretty good mood overall, so the walk home ended up being quite pleasant.

In some ways, this new sleep schedule is quite good. On the one hand, I know that I'll get a sure-fire nap out of her for 2 hours right after lunch, which gives me some workout time. On the other hand, I can no longer fit in a workout and a nap at the same time by taking her out in the stroller and hoping that she'll sleep for 2 hours at a time. The other sucky thing about her waking up from her naps during our walks is that PK can no longer sleep off hunger. This means that if I happen to be out and about when PK is due for a bottle, then I'd better stop to feed her, or haul some ass home.That being said, it's pretty cool that PK is getting so much more out of our stroller trips. She's finally getting to see the world! Okay - an itty bitty, teeny weeny cross-section of the world. But still!

No comments: